History of Springdale
Springdale was settled in 1641, with most of the land distribution in present-day Springdale taking place between 1700 and 1710. These lands were previously known as Hequetch, Shittim Plains, Greedy Ridge and the Black Swamp.
Orchards and cider mills were prominent among the farms at Hequetch, while wheat, oats and corn – as well as oak and walnut timber – were major commodities in the region. The first shop, opened in 1792, was a blacksmith located on the north side of Woodway Road and Hope Street. The house remains as the second oldest house in Springdale. The first store in Shittim Plains (a Biblical name) was in existence by 1811 and is listed as owned by a trader.
A school was built in 1854 and still remains the site of the present Springdale Elementary School. The area was then known as Shino. The Methodist Church was dedicated in 1876 and the Episcopal Church in 1868. The train made its first trip from Stamford to New Canaan on July 4, 1868. With the establishment of the local post office, Springdale was the name officially recognized for this area.
It is interesting to note that during the American Revolution, the majority of Springdale’s residents were Loyalists, unlike the rest of Stamford.
Today, Springdale is a neighborhood in the northeast section of the city of Stamford, Connecticut.
The small town atmosphere is derived from the town’s ability to be self-sustaining. Springdale has its own train station, fire department, schools, and churches. There is also a library, movie theater, and shopping center, along with several gas stations, hair and nail salons, barber shops, banks, sports facilities, and restaurants. The area also has a number of industrial properties along with the commercial and residential ones. Springdale has a large number of attractions for children and teens, including a park with a playground and Little League field. There are also dance studios, a skating rink, a yoga studio, martial arts studios, gyms and exercise studios, a dog park, and a skate/skateboard park.
The residents are a mix of young professionals, families, and seniors. Our diverse population numbers approximately twelve thousand residents. There are housing options from single-family homes west of the business district to townhouses and high-rise condos, most situated along Hope Street, the main artery through Springdale. Hope Street connects downtown Stamford with the Merritt Parkway, as well as with the bordering towns of Darien and New Canaan.
The Springdale business district is usually active with pedestrians shopping and heading to local restaurants. The trees along Hope Street make for a more enjoyable walk. This is a result of a concerted effort to beautify the town center of Springdale – an effort which is ongoing. Residents and local business owners are welcome to join in SNA activities to benefit the general welfare of all residents. By working together, we make Springdale great.
Derived from “Springdale Remembered 1640-1949” written by Rosemary Burns, with additional material provided by Marilyn Trefry and updated in 2016.